Q-State is the only company now offering comprehensive genomic services ranging from genetic sequencing to mutation modelling and screening to targeted antisense oligonucleotide (ASO) design, with application to individuals as well as populations. Underlying these services is the company’s expertise in functional genomics, stem cell biology, gene editing, and machine-learning based bioinformatics. Q-State’s proprietary OptopatchTM technology, in particular, enables the company to gain unparalleled physiological insights into personalized models of genetic nervous system conditions. Q-State also offers screening services in these models with its in-house new chemical entity (NCE) and repurposing libraries, and with custom-constructed ASOs. These collective services are available to individuals through their physician and to larger underserved populations through drug development partnerships with pharmaceutical companies. Q-State’s approach enables rapid drug discovery opportunities with shorter timelines and powers new treatment paradigms for genetic disease.
We are seeking and experienced Vice President of Business Development to ensure the future success of the company by identifying, evaluating, recommending and securing new business opportunities that support the strategic objectives of the organization. The Vice President of Business Development will develop technical, commercial, and financial assessments of all new business opportunities, and translate these assessments and provide senior management with recommendations. This role will represent Q-State to outside business and science contacts and will involve leading organizational communication and negotiation efforts with prospective business partners. The Vice President of Business Development will maintain in-depth market knowledge and relationships within strategic therapeutic segments to support prioritization of development and licensing opportunities.
- Develops and executes strategies for establishing and pursuing partnerships and business relationships to market products and services.
- Identifies, qualifies, and secures business opportunities by cultivating and maintaining mutually beneficial business relationships with current and potential clients.
- Screens potential deals by analyzing market strategies, deal requirements, and generating and optimizing financial models; evaluating options; resolving internal priorities.
- Develops licensing objectives, initiating proposals, negotiations and presentation of acquisition of licensing opportunities and technologies.
- Negotiates strategies and positions by studying integration of new venture with company strategies and operations; examines risks and potentials; estimates partners’ needs and goals.
- Manages relationships with various prospects, clients, and industry partners.
- Provides support to executive staff in deal negotiations, contract development, due diligence, and other business development or alliance development projects.
- Evaluates internal projects through financial feasibility studies, market research, forecasting, and planning.
- Collaborates with internal departments, such as marketing, sales, and science, and external partners and allies in the development and implementation of strategies, plans, and business models.
- Provides guidance and support to junior business development staff.
- Researches and learns all new emerging technologies and trends.
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in biology, cell biology, biotechnology or a related field is preferred.
- 10+ years of industry experience in pharma/biotech or closely related field required. Intimate working knowledge of the drug development process developed through direct work experience, including strong scientific and therapeutic background/experience.
- Previous technical project management or leadership experience gained through drug/device development, engineering, or information systems experience.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
- Analytical Skills: Superior analytical and critical thinking skills with strong attention to detail. Synthesizes complex or diverse information. Collects and researches data. Uses intuition and experience to complement data. Designs workflows and procedures.
- Planning/Organizing: Extensive knowledge in strategic plan development and business planning. Manages multiple projects and prioritizes and plans work activities to use time efficiently. Sets goals and objectives. Delivers realistic action plans.
- Technical Knowledge: Significant expertise in the drug development and approval process. Proven ability to evaluate technology, assess market opportunities and develop financial models
- Communications/Interpersonal Relations: Exhibits good listening and comprehension. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Selects and uses appropriate communication methods. Keeps others adequately informed. Skillful in dealing with other industry executives. Demonstrated ability to deliver credible and persuasive oral presentations to internal management and external business partners. Excellent negotiation ability.
- Quality: Applies feedback to improve performance. Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Displays commitment to excellence. Looks for ways to improve and promote quality. Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability: Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles. Takes initiative to recognize and act on opportunities. Able to work in a fast-paced environment and work under deadlines.
- Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities. Contributes to building a positive team spirt. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Puts success of team above own interests.
- Dependability: commits to doing the best job possible. Follows instruction. Keeps commitments. Meets attendance and punctuality guidelines. Responds to requests for service and assistance. Takes responsibility for own actions.
Q-State is a well-funded startup company with 50+ employees located in Cambridge, MA. We offer a comprehensive benefits package and competitive compensation.
Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the large volume of applicants we are unable to accommodate phone calls.