Q-State is seeking a highly motivated instrument technician to support its custom and off-the-shelf opto-mechanical instrumentation suite to support production imaging. The instrument technician will work closely with Q-State’s research associates, engineers, scientists to contribute to high quality drug development data production efforts.
The instrumentation technician will primarily provide hands-on maintenance and repair support for Q-State’s custom microscopy instrumentation, and should be comfortable with both electrical and mechanical debugging. Optical debugging experience is a plus but is not required. For all maintenance and repair needs, some on the job training will be provided.
The instrument technician will also regularly utilize the instruments to generate high-quality functional phenotype data using Q-State’s proprietary Optopatch assays for disease-modeling and drug discovery. This work utilizes cell cultures grown and delivered from Q-State’s in-house tissue culture labs, and includes quality control inspections of the cells, hand-pipetted and automated buffer exchanges, compound additions and other interventions, as well as the actual imaging of the plate using in-house-developed proprietary microscopy instruments. The laboratory technician will also multi-task across more than one instrument, accomplish data analysis and/or other tasks at a nearby workstation while the imaging progresses.
- Maintain and repair custom and off-the-shelf imaging and related instruments
- Perform all-optical electrophysiology recordings in both neurons and cardiomyocytes
- Utilize existing software to perform data analysis of Optopatch recordings
- A Bachelor’s degree OR 5 years work experience in a relevant field
- Experience maintaining scientific, medical, engineering instrumentation or equivalent
- Experience operating scientific, medical, engineering instrumentation or equivalent
- Ability to work independently as well as in cross-functional teams
- Desire to work in an exciting startup atmosphere with a “do what it takes” attitude
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Experience developing new instrumentation in cooperation with Sr. engineers or on your own is a plus
Please send your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the large volume of applicants we are unable to accommodate phone calls.