Q-State Biosciences is seeking a highly motivated, in-house General Counsel reporting to the CEO. The General Counsel will be a member of the Executive Team and a trusted advisor to the Board of Directors and its committees. The General Counsel will play a critical role in the strategic leadership of the company and to work closely with the CEO, HR and the rest of the Executive Team to set and implement Q-State’s overall strategic direction. The General Counsel will oversee outside counsel engagements and provide guidance on all legal and compliance initiatives, including advising on risk broadly throughout the company, corporate and commercial transactions, litigation, employment matters, intellectual property, and research and development initiatives.
The General Counsel will handle both complex and routine legal matters. The position will advise the Board of Directors, the Executive Team, and the CEO on a broad variety on all legal and other strategic issues. The General Counsel will also assess and ensure that the company operates in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Develop functional plans for managing legal matters, including activities to be performed in-house or through outside counsel to best manage company’s legal expenses and minimize risk for the business.
- Manage and advice on corporate governance, business development transactions, capital raises, real estate, general transaction support, license agreements, employment law, regulatory matters, risk management, and general contract management.
- Provide legal advice to the company’s Board of Directors and act as the Secretary for those bodies.
- Participate in Business Development and Investor Relations activities in collaboration with the CBO and CFO.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide variety of agreements including confidentiality, material transfer, advisory board, consulting and employment agreements, market research, other intellectual property-related matters with domestic and international parties, including partners, vendors, clinical site and academic institutions ranging from global life sciences organizations to major universities, research and clinical sites, landlords, subcontractors, and government agencies.
- Provide leadership and technical guidance to ensure an effective ethics and compliance program. Oversee the development of programs to prevent and detect violations of laws, company policies and other misconduct, promote ethical practices and ensure the implementation of the compliance program throughout the organization.
- Oversee legal matters pertaining to intellectual property strategy and management. Has legal responsibility for patent, copyright, and intellectual property matters.
- Address developments in the corporate regulatory and governance environment and is proactive in areas related to compliance education and training. Monitor external developments in compliance, including laws and regulations, government investigations and industry best practices.
- JD from an accredited law school and admitted to practice In Massachusetts.
- A minimum of 15 years of experience practicing law including both law firm and in-house experience of a biotechnology company.
- Biotechnology experience spanning the research, development, approval, launch and commercialization of rare disease therapies.
- Broad legal experience covering multiple aspects of corporate law including business development, corporate contracting, intellectual property, employment, and others within life sciences industry.
- Experience with FDA and healthcare regulatory and compliance.
- Demonstrated experience in commercial legal analysis and planning including effectively managing multiple projects/priorities.
- Proven ability to make sound judgments and decisions. Possess the ability quickly assess problems/situations and provide effective solutions.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to balance working on multiple projects in parallel.
To apply for this job, please visit the Q-State Career Center